Recently, I had the chance to meet a few people at Riot Games, and a couple of them had given me the opportunity for this “Hi 5”.
Meet Hollymonster! She is a Game/Account Lead at Riot Games and a sweet bubbly girl. Her duties are, but not limited to:
- Lead the technical team of Player Support Specialists while providing guidance and taking an active role in their career development
- Collaborate with Training and Communication specialists to identify weaknesses and ensure that your team has the resources it needs
- Ensure optimal coverage across queue resources
- Generate in-depth reports, including trends and forecasts
- Build the team by helping with hiring and onboarding of staff
Continue after the break to see what she has to share with us. ^_^
Reminder: League of Legends (LoL) is a free-to-play (F2P) multi-player online battle arena (MOBA). It’s confusing to play at first if you’re not used to this style of gaming, but if you really give it a chance, it can be a very enjoying experience.
1. What was the first video game that you ever played?
The first video game I remember playing was a Cookie Monster game for the Atari when I was very young, probably 3 or 4. The first RPG I played through alone was Link to the Past quite a few years later.
2. What game, or aspects of gaming, influenced you to get into the industry?
Before getting hired at Riot I had already played League for almost a year. I decided to search around the Help and Support forum for a couple months and realized that so many people were having issues and all I needed to do was give them information to help. People were so grateful on threads and I noticed that Riot was hiring for Player Support, so I decided to apply.
Why not get paid for something I greatly enjoyed doing and what I was doing for hours every night anyway?
3. How have games influenced your life?
I would not be the person I am today if I hadn’t spent hours watching my mom and brother play games until late in the night. Growing up my older sister couldn’t figure out why I didn’t care what other people thought about me. What she didn’t realize was that I had a very large group of friends, ranging from the socially awkward ‘nerds’ to the very popular ‘jocks’.
What connected us was games. I could destroy my ‘nerdy’ friends at puzzle games and play MMO’s all night with them, and talk FPS’s with the jocks.
4. You just moved into a neighborhood inhabited by the current LoL Champions available…
Hollymonster: This would be endlessly entertaining.
a. Who would you borrow sugar from?
Morgana - I hear shes a good baker.
b. Who would you ask to baby sit the kids?
Nunu - If he can take care of one he can handle a few more. :)
c. Whose wi-fi do you steal?
Heimer - What that guy can do with a wrench…
d. Who’s your BFF?
Amumu - Everyone knows he needs a friend.
e. Whose Facebook invite do you not accept?
Skarner - He’s just scary.
5. Is there any advice that you can give to those who are looking to getting into the gaming industry?
I never thought I would be able to get into a career that I love and that I have a passion for.
My advice to you would be to try and never give up. Even if you think you aren’t qualified it never hurts to try!
Big thanks to Hollymonster for responding and helping me bring you these great Hi 5’s! Be sure to visit Riot Games for their product and contact information.