We’ve all found ourselves in a place where we are happily enjoying the wonderful fluff of our favorite shoujo series and we suddenly choke on our nearly consumed sour patch kid as an extremely unwelcome and annoying character intrudes on our experience (okay, maybe the sour patch kid is just me). Introducing the shoujo manga tool: that dude who always seems to ruin all of your well laid out plans and makes you want to throw your computer against the wall.
Some of the guys on this list may be a bit obscure, but they all have one thing in common: they make me want to scream in anger and throw stuff. I hope you enjoy some heavy tool-bashing!
5. Akira (Dengeki Daisy): Akira is a fairly mysterious character who is first introduced as a boy who looks quite a bit like Teru’s brother and steals her first kiss without asking. He lands at number five not only because he is a huge tool, but also because he creeps the heck out of me. The guy has just about the scariest smile I have ever seen and some really freaky behaviors.
Akira is quite a tool because other than the generally evil things he does to Teru most of the time, he is also conceited about his abilities. What makes things worse is that he thinks he can beat Daisy easily, yet as soon as he is confronted by Daisy himself (and his physical strength) he runs away scared. If he was so tough he wouldn’t need to hide behind a hostage Teru so often would he?
4. Yahiro Saiga (Special A): No matter how many times Yahiro helped out the group or was nice to Megumi, I wasn’t ready to revoke his tool status. Maybe if he had actually officially gotten over Akira or dated Megumi I would have been a bit more forgiving — me being a sucker for everyone getting together — but he did neither and landed himself at number four.
Yahiro is a pretty standard tool. He gets in the way of everyone’s plans for his own entertainment and shows the girl he loves his affection by making sure she has no other friends. It’s no wonder that Akira never wants to talk to this guy again seeing as the only way he knows how to interact with others is with manipulation. He may have used his tricks for good at times, but I wasn’t ready to let Yahiro escape tooldom because of his few better actions.
3. Han Si Hoo (Orange Marmalade): I was introduced to Si Hoo fairly recently and he easily made it to number three on the shoujo tool list. I instantly disliked him simply because he was blocking Ma Ri and Jae Min’s relationship as her fiancé, but he added a lot of more annoying traits that boosted him up on the tool list.
We find out soon enough the Si Hoo is responsible for the news report on vampires that made Ma Ri’s life miserable and that he hates humans. All of this is compounded by his arrogant personality and his blatant surprise over Ma Ri’s dislike of him despite his good looks. He also makes some really creepy moves on Jae Min because of his delicious smelling blood which weirded me out. He has just the right amount of ignorance and arrogance to make him the perfect shoujo manga tool.
2. Tora Igarashi (Kaichou Wa Maid-sama): President Igarashi is the worst kind of tool; the kind that pretends to be a gentleman to get you to move to his school and be his personal sex-maid. Igarashi is particularly troublesome because he is super rich and has an obsessive personality. He does whatever he can to mess with Misaki and Usui, and seems to have some sort of information about Usui’s past that he uses to fuel his obsession with the two.
Igarashi is very tool-like in his acts of manipulation, including tricking Misaki into wearing a maid uniform so he could throw money at her and trying to get Usui and Misaki to break up by messing with her emotions and saying he loves her at Usui’s birthday party. His inability to believe that Misaki can beat his money and charm is his last tool characteristic, because his overconfidence makes a fool out of him quite often. That’s what he gets for messing with Seika High’s Student Counsel Prez!
1. Sho Fuwa (Skip Beat!): Sho has to be my ultimate shoujo tool. This guy pisses me off every time he speaks or even shows up in a panel. He may have created the Kyoko I love and he may increase the drama, but it isn’t worth it because he is so damn annoying. If there was a king of tools it would be Sho, the guy who took a girl to Tokyo to be his maid and threw her aside like a pair of old socks.
Sho’s ego is as big as Mount Everest and he is made much worse because he has the nerve to want Kyoko back after what he did to her. His desire to be with Kyoko again could have been a redeeming point for Sho if he didn’t express his feelings by saying he rightfully owns her and wants her to hate only him and think of no one else. Sho believes he is the best Japanese star, but his insecurity comes out when it comes to the extremely popular Ren Tsuruga. He shows his tool-like nature when he desperately tries to beat the unreachable Ren and when he thinks he still has a chance with Kyoko. This guy had to be my number one because no one makes me want to slam my head into the wall repeatedly more than Sho and his sparkly outfits.