I wasn’t too sure if I wanted to do this since there were a ton of fantastic costumes, but there were some notable ones at FanimeCon 2012.
These are in no particular order and are chosen with personal taste, so please, I do not mean to offend anyone.
Hit the break to see my personal top 5 cosplays from FanimeCon 2012!
Note: If you are one of the cosplayers listed in this piece, please let us know so we could appropriately credit and link you!
5. The first one that come to mind is this person who cosplayed Ashitaka (Princess Mononoke). I haven’t seen too many Ashitaka costumes in my years of anime cons. This one looked well done.
4. I couldn’t choose just one because both of these Perona (One Piece) costumes were really nice. The one in the black dress did Perona’s horohoro laugh and the ghosts were a nice touch.
3. I’m not too familiar with the game but Athena of Enyala Cosplay did a splendid job with her Shining Blade (Guild Wars 2) armor. I was able to talk with her dad as she was getting photos taken and her entire outfit was handcrafted herself. Mom helped a little too.
2. You don’t see a lot of the young ones in costume much but these Chibi Sailor Scouts (Sailor Moon) were pretty spot on.
1. Finally, as a Brony, I had to put this anthropomorphic Discord (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) on the list. It was just silly but it worked well.
Other notable costumes that might have made the cut were they anime-related were Mugatu from Zoolander and Alfred Eisenstaedt’s The Kiss. They were just so obscure but I had to take photos. Not sure if anyone really knew The Kiss but once I saw them as they were standing around, I just turned to them and blatantly asked, “Can you do it?” and they were more than happy to. Soon after, other people took some photos as well. I guess it is a little awkward to ask strangers to kiss for a photo op, but hey, they dressed for the occasion (ha-ha).
There were also a strange amount of Waldo’s walking around as well. Here is one of my favorite ones I found =P. And the one pictured in the intro was a bit of a paradox, or conundrum, if you will.
I almost forgot to mention the great full-body furry costumes. I know this is probably throwing my top 5 into a spin but these are worth showcasing.
This Growlithe was pretty convincing and the eyes and mouth can move. I swear it was keeping its eyes on me as it walked by when I took photos.
Then there was Epona and Crimson Loftwing from the Legend of Zelda series.
Well there you have it, my top 5 cosplay picks from FanimeCon 2012 and then some! I understand that you may not completely agree with me and that’s fine. We would love to see your top 5 choices.
Come to our Facebook page and view all the galleries from FanimeCon 2012 day 1, day 2, and day 3. If you happen to know any of these awesome cosplayers, feel free to tag them as well but please tag appropriately. If we missed a great cosplay and you happened to have snapped a photo, please feel free to share with us.
If you are attending Anime Expo this year and you happen to see me walking around, don’t be shy and say hello. Maybe we can take a photo and have an AX2012 fan spotlight. If you are going to cosplay, let me know if you want to do a small photo session as well. I might be cosplaying Wakfu or walking around with my Floxy plushies so keep an eye out. ^_^