Here are your top five films at the box office for the weekend of Aug 3rd-5th:
- The Dark Knight Rises - $36.44m = $354,638,000 17-Day Total - ($250m production budget)
- Total Recall (2012) - $26m (Opening Weekend) - ($125m production budget)
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days - $14.7m (Opening Weekend) - ($22m production budget)
- Ice Age: Continental Drift - $8.4m = $131,863,000 24-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
- The Watch - $6.35m = $25,363,000 10-Day Total - ($68m production budget)
Opening at number two is Sony’s remake of Total Recall. The redux opened up to a disappointing $26 million this past weekend with a reported production budget of $125 million. There is absolutely no way for the film to make its money back domestically as it would have needed to have opened up at least in the $40-$50 million range. The Total Recall remake will most likely top out at around $70 million or more by the end of its run.
At number three is the third installment of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid franchise. Dog Days opened up to $14 million this past weekend for 20th Century Fox, and with a production budget at a modest $22 million, the film will make a marginal profit for the studio and will more than likely spawn another sequel sometime down the line.
Rounding out the top five are two more 20th Century Fox releases. At fourth is the fourth installment of the Ice Age franchise from Blue Sky Studios, which took in another $8 million this past weekend, bringing up its domestic total to over $130 million over twenty-four days. The film is a modest hit domestically while it has proven its strength once again overseas. Lastly is the R-Rated comedy, The Watch, which came in at fifth. The movie took in another $6 million in its second weekend and has been a disappointment due to its $68 million production budget.
Here’s how the rest of the top ten plays out:
6. Ted - $5.479m = $203,414,000 38-Day Total - ($50m production budget)
7. Step Up: Revolution - $5.3m = $23,097,000 10-Day Total - ($33m production budget)
8. The Amazing Spider-Man - $4.3m = $250,640,000 34-Day Total - ($230m production budget)
9. Brave - $2.89m = $223,324,000 45-Day Total - ($185m production budget)
10. Magic Mike - $1.38m = $110,894,000 38-Day Total - ($7m production budget)