Here are your top five films at the box office for the weekend of Aug 31st-Sep 2nd:
- The Possession - $17.725m (Opening Weekend) - ($14m production budget)
- Lawless - $9.674m (Opening Weekend) = $11,816,000 5-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
- The Expendables 2 - $8.8 m = $66,159,000 17-Day Total - ($100m production budget)
- The Bourne Legacy - $7.248m = $96,247,000 24-Day Total - ($125m production budget)
- ParaNorman - $6.551m = $38,025,000 17-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
The weekend’s only other new release was the period crime drama, Lawless. Even with its early opening on Wednesday, it barely made eight figures over five days, and over the three day weekend it only made just over $9 million.
Dropping down to number three is the previous number one film for the past two weeks, The Expendables 2. The star studded action mash up took in over $8 million in its third weekend at the box office to bring up its domestic total to over $66 million. The film will fall short of making $100 million domestically and matching its $100 million production budget, but it should make up for that with its foreign take.
Edging slowly closer to $100 million is the fourth film in the Bourne franchise at number four. The film took in over $7 million at the box office to bring up its domestic total to over $96 million, and though it will fall short of making back its $125 million production budget, making over $100 million domestically combined with its foreign gross should ensure the continuation of the franchise.
Rounding out the top five is the stop motion animated film, ParaNorman. The last major children’s film of the summer took in another $6 million to bring up its domestic total to over $38 million in seventeen days.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 plays out:
6. The Odd Life of Timothy Green - $6.055m = $35,900,000 19-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
7. The Dark Knight Rises - $5.88m = $431,196,000 45-Day Total - ($250m production budget)
8. The Campaign - $5.445m = $73,022,000 24-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
9. 2016 Obama’s America - $5.103m = $18,203,000 52-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
10. Hope Springs - $4.7m = 52,057,000 26-Day Total - (production budget n/a)