Here are your top five films for the weekend of Sept 7th-9th:
- The Possession - $9.5m = $33,349,000 10-Day Total - ($14m production budget)
- Lawless - $6.002m = $23,520,00 12-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
- The Words - $5m (Opening Weekend) - ($6m production budget)
- The Expendables 2 - $4.75m = $75,417,000 24-Day Total - ($100m production budget)
- The Bourne Legacy - $4m = $103,700,000 31-Day Total - ($125m production budget)
In an exceptionally weak weekend at the box office, no film made eight figures. The highest grossing film this past weekend was Sam Raimi’s The Possession. The exorcism film led the way with just $9.5 million this weekend bringing up its domestic total to over $33 million over its first ten days of release.
At second was John Hillcoat’s period crime drama, Lawless. Catching the tail end of summer, the film’s gross is only a moderate $23 million over 12 days including taking in just over $6 million this past weekend.
One of the weekend’s two new releases, The Words, opened at number three with a measly opening of $5 million. Though it is a weak opening, the film only cost $6 million to make so the movie has made back the most of its money this past weekend.
Dropping down to fourth is The Expendables 2 which continues to roll along as it took in another $4.75 million this past weekend, bringing up its domestic total to over $75 million. A far cry from its predecessor at this point of its release, the movie will more than likely finish between $85 and $90 million, but will more than likely improve its performance overseas.
Rounding out the top five is the latest Bourne film, The Bourne Legacy. With another $4 million taken in this past weekend, the film pushed its domestic total to over $100 million and may eventually wind up around $110 million. Not too shabby for Jeremy Renner and Universal considering its time of release.
Here’s how the rest of the top ten plays out:
6. ParaNorman - $3.83m = $45,098,000 24-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
7. The Odd Life of Timothy Green - $3.65m = $43,007,000 26-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
8. The Campaign - $3.53m = $79,473,000 31-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
9. The Dark Knight Rises - $3.285m = $437,849,000 52-Day Total - ($250m production budget)
10. 2016 Obama’s America - $3.281m = $26,088,000 59-Day Total - (production budget n/a)