Here are your top five films at the box office for the weekend of Sept. 21-23
- End of Watch - $13m (Opening Weekend) - ($7m production budget)
- House at the End of the Street - $13m (Opening Weekend) - ($10m production budget)
- Trouble With the Curve - $12.72m (Opening Weekend) - (production budget n/a)
- Finding Nemo 3D - $9.446 = $29,979,000 10-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
- Resident Evil: Retribution - $6.7 = $33,468,000 10-Day Total - ($65m production budget)
Not far behind in third place is the newest Clint Eastwood-starring film — the first since 2008’s Gran Torino — Trouble With the Curve. A baseball film with award-nominated actors, it looked to capitalize on the success that last year’s baseball flick, Moneyball, had at this time in the year. The film opened up to under $12 million over the weekend.
Dropping down from second to fourth is Disney and Pixar’s 3D re-release of the Academy Award-winning film, Finding Nemo. Another film looking to capitalize on the same type of business made last year with the 3D re-release of The Lion King, Finding Nemo only took in a modest $9 million in its second week of release, more than 50% lower than what The Lion King in 3D did in its second weekend of release.
And rounding out the top five is the latest Resident Evil film, Retribution, which is something this series really needs after the movie dropped a whopping 68% in its second weekend at the box office, taking in only $6.7 million to bring up its domestic total to over $33 million. The film looks to finish above the the first film’s final tally of $40 million, but it has some work to do if it wants to come close to the $50 million which Apocalypse and Extinction made.
Here’s how the rest of the top ten plays out:
6. Dredd 3D - $6.3m (Opening Weekend) - ($50m production budget)
7. The Master - $5m = $6,059,000 10-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
8. The Possession - $2.63m = $45,650,000 24-Day Total - ($14m production budget)
9. Lawless - $2.321m = $34,512,000 26-Day Total - (production budget n/a)
10. ParaNorman - $2.297m = $52,566,000 38-Day Total - (production budget n/a)